It’s time to take a break from all the Japan spots and head back to good ole Singapore for some sushi hunting!
I was walking back from my tailor and chanced upon this:
No….not the spa, guys!
So I posted it on Instagram and a friend reached out to ask if I had tried it. Well, now I have!
So without further ado, WAS IT GOOD?
Sushi Sabu Roku
Cost Performance: 3.5/5
Overall Rating: 3.25/5
What I liked:
- Hearty portions, 10 nigiri sushi pieces + 3 tsumami/appetisers
- Balanced rice seasoning (komezu- rice vinegar but Koji-san did mention that he was gonna experiment with a touch of akazu more often in the near future)- neither quiet nor overpowering
- Nice use of yuzu kosho and other condiments to spice things up
- Friendly and relaxed service
What I thought could be better:
- Neta temperature-wise was a tad cold (
no dead fish jokes please)
- Nigiri construction
The Lunch Offering (in respective order):
Salad (sorry no picture, I thought it was very average)
Tennen Shima-Aji (Wild Striped Jack)
Very clean flavours!!
Aburi no Kinmedai (Seared Splendid Alfonsino)
Very good smokiness!
Otoro (Fatty Tuna)
Broiled something (sorry, was responding to an email when they served this)
Shime-Saba (Salt & Vinegar Cured Mackerel)
Sheet actually distracts from the well-cured fish
Good Texture, Sweetness
Akami-Zuke (Marinated Lean Tuna): BEST PIECE!!
Texture, Depth, Boldness- all there!
Junsai Chawanmushi (Steamed Egg with Watershield)
Uni, Ikura “Mini-Don”
Aburi no Kamasu (Seared Barracuda)
Tekka Maki (Tuna Roll) + Miso Soup (not pictured)
Anago (Sea Eel)
Kampyo-Maki (Dried Gourd Roll) (Add-on)
Best Piece: Akami-Zuke
Worst Piece: Aburi no Kamasu